Michiel works closely with the clients, discussing and inspecting the site, whether it be an existing house for renovation, or new site. He looks at the building’s or site’s orientation, sun and weather, the existing building’s orientation to the street and neighbouring buildings.
This discussion covers the client’s needs, their own design ideas and preferences, and the budget; as well as issues of local council regulations, and the streetscape.
Taking all this information back to the office, Michiel’s design purpose is always to create beautiful, sustainable space.
- First design sketches are offered and discussed with the client. Discussion with neighbours if needed.
- Fee and contract finalisation.
- Detailed designs are then produced for the Council drawings and the lodgement of the Development Application.
- Negotiations with council and neighbours where necessary. Further alterations to design if necessary.
- Once the DA has council approval, tenders for building can begin. The work may be undertaken by Michiel Gerber and his building team, or completed by an independent builder or subcontractors.
- Building commences. If using another builder, a client may continue with Gerber’s architectural services in the administration of the building contract, or supervise building themselves.